Saturday, January 11, 2014

Brownies and Chips [A Recipe]

Something has been bothering me since late 2012.
Kale chips.
Kale chips aren't CHIPS.
Calling them chips is just nonsense. There's an expectation that the word "chip" carries along with it. A promise that crispy kale just can't deliver.
I'd be happier if we could all just call them what they are. Pieces of crispy salad.

And then there are black bean brownies.
Brownies are delicious. They are pure. They are perfect. They don't need to be healthified.
Beans don't belong in a brownie. They belong in a burrito. Or with some cornbread.
But after my friend Carolyn made me try one (she brought one to me and I'm quite polite), I'm OK with calling these "brownies" instead of "sweet beans with eggs and butter" because they deliver. But only if they are made from this recipe (from Carolyn):

  • Black Bean Brownies

  • INGREDIENTS

  • 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1.5 cups brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 6 tbls soft butter
  • 1 tbls vanilla
  • 1/2 cup cocoa

INSTRUCTIONS

    1. Mix all ingredients in a food processor or blender.
    2. Grease your 8x8 dish and bake at 325 for 25 minutes. (I used a disposable pan and mine weren't done after 25 minutes, so I upped the temp to 350 for another 10-20 minutes....you just kind of have to watch them).
    3. Enjoy with an ICE COLD glass of milk. Literally, put ice in your milk.

2 comments:

  1. yeah! now I want some. too bad we're going on the most evil of diets sometime this month. the date keeps getting pushed back. I wonder if there was a way to cut down the sugar in this recipe.

    Also, I like the name Kale Crispy Bits, or whatever. You should (farmers) market them. I wish I lived closer to actually follow through on our farmers market ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You changed my life with those brownies. I have started getting raw milk from that farm and an ice cold glass of that with one of those brownies is heh-vawn-leah.
      What kind of diet is this? And should we all have dinner at Monte Ne before that gets going? (Seriously...let's do it).

      Kale Crispy Bits. It's totally marketable (see what I did there?).
      Gussy and Guise and our Farmer's Market booth would be crazy successful. Perhaps that's why we don't live closer...to prevent our inevitable success?

      Delete

I'm not going to lie...I don't hate comments.